Week 34 21 – 27 August 2017 Drayton Harbor, Blaine – Drayton Harbor 114 nm
21 August Monday Drayton Harbor
No wind during the night and sunshine from a clear sky when we woke up. A sun that slowly became “weaker” as the moon shaded part of the surface. We were too far north to see the full effect of the eclipse, but it became cooler and darker for twenty minutes.
Although interesting, we continued our work on Moon during the eclipse. The teak under our winches got all plug and screws removed and then epoxy and new plugs
Annika continued working with some joints in the cork deck after lunch, while Björn repaired two spots on the mast that had got blisters due to galvanic corrosion under the paint.
We have had contact with a sail maker in Sidney to restitch the sun protection on both headsails. Luckily they have time for us as soon as we can come. Difficult to decide while we are waiting for parcels to arrive her in Blaine. Sailing from Blaine to Sidney is more or less only to time the tide. The current in Strait of Georgia and Boundary Pass have to be favorable, otherwise it’s a very time consuming trip. End of the week seems to be ok for a not too early start.
Late afternoon we got an email that our support for the head had arrived. We took the dinghy to the marina and first walked the two miles to the supermarket and on our way back to the marina we collected the missing part to the head.
Back in Moon the time was already eight o’clock and time for a late dinner. Rockfish, rice and fine cut carrots prepared in garlic butter, served with our home made yoghurt finalized a day full of progress.
22 August Tuesday Drayton Harbor
Another quiet night. Breakfast in cockpit under a clear sky before we started mounting the new foot for the head. Had to alter the new foot a bit. The four 8 mm holes for the four M8 bolts glued in the floor had of course no play. Only the height of the bolt called for some play! Drilled the holes three times, half a millimetre each time before there was a snug fit.
The manoeuvre for the centre board has for some time been a temporary one since the original one stopped working. Now we have a new one, but dismantling the old one we found that it probably was only bad contact due to “boat climate”.
Annika continues repairing some of the joints in the cork in the cockpit and on the roof of the superstructure
The mast and boom got the repaired spots painted with epoxy before lunch.
After lunch the cork job continued and the teak plugs in the teak under the winches was cut.
Information about our parcels comes now and then by e-mail. Some have already arrived, but some will take another week.
Not to lose too much time waiting in Blaine we called the sail maker and made arrangement to be at the loft to deliver our two headsails on Thursday morning. This means that gluing the cork, painting the mast and finalize the head repair must been done tonight.
All jobs was done before dinner, and after dinner we took the dinghy to the marina and collected two parcels. A Racor filter and a diesel pump. We wanted to be able to get fittings for both items in Sidney where there are three chandlers.
23 August Wednesday Drayton Harbor – Tsehum Harbour, Sidney 35 nm
Up with the roster half past six to take advantage of the tide across Strait of Georgia and Boundary pass.
When weighing anchor we had to use the wash down pump to clean the chain almost for the first time this year. The chain was very muddy to say the least.
Motorsailed with a reefed main the first miles until we got wind from south and Rosario Strait. The current was due south against the wind and created a nasty, short steep swell. But thanks to the current we had to steer almost fifteen degrees north of our goal, giving us a better wind angel. 50 degrees to the wind gave us full speed when the sea state become a little smother further out in Strait of Georgia.
Passing Patos Island into Boundary Pass the wind died. But now we got following current of almost three knots and flat sea, it’s hard to feel sorry under those conditions.
A few hours later we arrived in Tsehum Harbour and tied up to the Customs dock to clear into Canada:
The Customs dock was at the fuel dock and we took the opportunity to top up our water tanks. Having got our clearings number and water we anchored off the mooring buoys and as the time was shortly after noon we had our salad lunch. Then lowered the headsails and drove into the marina and delivered the sails to the sail maker, saving us another early morning. Now we could appear tenish instead of eight thirty, to decide what have to be done after they had looked at the sails in the early morning.
Took a walk in the neighbourhood to check out the chandlers and get some exercise. The businesses in the area are very much boat related and the rest of the buildings are domestic houses wit nice gardens.
Back in Moon we had a relaxing afternoon before it was time to prepare one of our favorite dinner – Lamb.
During watching a movie we heard some “extra” noise from the chain, and yes the changing tide combined with wind from shore had made our anchor change direction.
When anchoring we got a very good holding, but obviously the mud layer on the rocky bottom was not very thick because the anchor now just didn’t set. Still a few meters to the rocks, but we had to do something very soon.
Started the engine and pulled the anchor. In absolutely darkness this isn’t easy, but with radar, plotter, deck light and so on it was not difficult at all. Re anchored only twenty meters beside the old spot and got perfect holding, now in the direction of the wind and tide. Early morning when the tide change, the wind will still be the same and probably keep the boat against the current with no stress at all on the chain. But we sat the anchor alarm because we now knew that the bottom was not really reliable.
24 August Thursday Tsehum Harbour – Tod Inlet 14 nm
After a late breakfast we took the dinghy to the sail maker.
All threads on the sun cover had to be re stitched and a few patches of the sun cover showed some wear and got patches. The top of the cutter had some thread damages on the opposite side to the sun cover. We understood that the stiff part of the sail doesn’t furl to become protected. The top got sun cover on both sides after re stitching the top of the sail.
Everything ready tomorrow afternoon reliving us from another nine hundred dollars.
We visited the chandlers and got fittings for our new filter and pump together with a new smaller hose for diesel from the main tank via filter and pump to the day tank. Finally we can start to “polish” diesel when filling the day tank.
Back in Moon before lunch we weigh anchor and motored around the Sidney peninsula to Saanich Inlet and finally Tod Inlet where we rafted on Liv, our Swedish friends that now had returned from Sweden.
Lots of stories was told about their time in Sweden during the afternoon as we had coffee, sundowner dinner and finally tee down in Moon as the evening got quite cold.
25 August Friday Tod Inlet – Tsehum Harbour – Ganges 14 + 14 nm
Woke up early after a very quiet night. Breakfast and then we borrowed the dinghy from Liv who had their outboard already mounted since yesterday. Drove to the dinghy pontoon and walked to Butchards Garden, the main attraction when you are anchored in Tod Inlet.
In fall we had met the owners and got free tickets to the garden. Now we understood what a treat that was. Entrance fee was 32 dollar per person. A marvellous garden, build in an old limestone quarry.
Back in Moon we thanked for the dinghy and took Moon back to Tsehum Harbour where we anchored and got our sails back. Back in Moon we weigh anchor and motored to Ganges for the Saturday Market.
We anchored off the harbour and as usual in Ganges lots of boats. Took the dinghy to the harbour for a pint and a stroll among the restaurants with live music. Bought a baguette for our late salad dinner, because we had had a leftover hot lunch underway.
When it was time for bed the tide had changed and Björn walked the deck to check that everything was in order. The boat that had been well off our stern when we dug down the anchor was now almost under our bow! The old problem with boats anchored with chain together with boats with all line. No wind and only little current made the “line boat” swing 180 degrees and all the way to the end of the line, while we were right on top of our anchor. The mild current didn’t stretch our chain. Started the engine and reversed to stretch the chain. Early tomorrow when the tide change again the “line boat” will swing all the way and we will be on top of our anchor leaving the line boat well down the current.
26 August Saturday Ganges – Montague Harbour 7 nm
Up early and after breakfast in a sunny cockpit we took the dinghy to the market. Already lots of people although the marked had just opened. But we understand that food items run out quite fast and you have to be there early if you want some.
Bought two expensive loafs of bread and then walked to the “normal” shop for vegetables and lamb.
Back in Moon there was a little wind, not enough for sailing but too much for hoisting our headsails, still resting in their bags on deck.
We weigh anchor and motored to Montague Harbour where we anchored between shore and all the anchored boats. Absolutely no wind, perfect conditions for hoisting the sails. But first some maintenance of the swirvels for the halyards and thread locking for the shackles.
Felt ok to be a sailing boat again!
Late salad lunch, didn’t dare to wait with the sails until after lunch having this perfect conditions.
After noon we made a bag under the forward part of the boom to store halyards. There is a “ladder” on both side of the boom and we have used that to only tie up the halyards, but that is somewhat restricting our view. Now the halyards are stored parallel to the boom and out of our sight forward. Quite an improvement.
Late afternoon we took the dinghy to shore and had a nice log walk on the well used tracks.
Rock fish with rice for dinner in the cockpit during a fantastic sunset.
27 August Sunday Montague Harbour – Point Roberts – Blaine – Drayton Harbor 17 + 13 nm
Early start before the sun had reach our cockpit. But that was mostly because we had a high ridge to east.
Weigh anchor before breakfast to reach Active Pass out to Strait of Georgia well before the tide change.
The pass is well used by ferries and it’s absolutely to long to travel against the current.
Ten minutes before entering the pass we saw one of the big ferries enter the pass and on AIS we saw another one coming from the other side. We slowed down to adjust our entrance to the “out coming” ferry. We were to cross his route to get to the “starboard lane” and that could be confusing because we had the ferry on our port side.
The timing was next to perfect. When the ferry came out of the pass we had a few hundred meters to go. We know that they had seen us on AIS and probably also our adjustment of speed to their departure of the pass.
Now we were the only boat in the entrance and could enjoy eight knots ground speed. The pass is a double dogleg and after the first turn we saw two ferries coming towards us. But now we where well on starboard side and had no problem to keep out of their route. Halfway through the current started to make whirl pools and some standing waves, a condition that continued half a mile out in Strait of Georgia. Another half a mile later we could start sailing in a nice comfortable northerly wind, giving us more than seven knots through water.
Half way across we heard a call for Mayday on VHF. Three people in the water next to the light house east of Active Pass where we passed less then an hour ago. Lots of boats and two ferries close by and the people was found and rescued by a private small pleasure fishing boat well before the two Coast Guard boats arrived to the scene.
We arrived at Point Roberts Custom dock shortly before eleven to clear in to US again.
An hour later we were allowed to continue and headed east for Blaine. Unfortunately the wind had died and we had to use the engine for 13 nm.
We moored in the marina to be able to get our parcels. One parcel was big, a new oven and we didn’t want to bring that in the dinghy. The marina doesn’t charge if you stay shorter than four hour and before that we left for the anchorage out in Drayton Harbor, the lagoon inshore of Blaine marina.
Out on the anchorage we had a nice cool breeze when the marina was hot and absolutely calm.
One of the parcels included a new tablet, and Annika started immediately installing and preparing the new toy, while Björn finalized the weekly blog before dinner.
Annika & Björn